Want to be part of a creative, motivated group of people and play an active role in shaping Berlin’s growing English literary scene?
We are an all-volunteer team driven by our passion for literature and art.
SAND is searching for two new fiction editors to join our collaborative fiction editorial team
Want to be part of a creative, motivated group of people and play an active role in shaping Berlin’s growing English literary scene? Join the SAND team as one of our three fiction editors. Our democratic approach to SAND’s fiction team will have our fiction editors collaborating to share the work of reading fiction submissions, choosing a shortlist, reading and discussing the shortlists in the other genres, making final selections, and working closely with authors, the editorial coordinator, and our issue designer to organize the final versions that appear in the journal. Individual editors will take the lead on the stories they’re most passionate about and will be given the freedom to let their creativity shine when working with authors and other fiction editors throughout the editing process. We’re looking for someone with strong editing and writing skills who is based in Berlin and is familiar with SAND, is passionate about short fiction and literary magazines, has good taste, has strong opinions along with a cooperative spirit, and has an open mind.
You should have most of the following:
- Living in Berlin for the longer term
- Native-level English
- Some experience in writing, translating, and/or editing fiction, either freelance or at a publication
- A vision for what you like about fiction and flash fiction, what you want to see more of, but also an openness to enjoy work that is fresh and surprising
- Knowledge of English style, spelling, grammar, and usage – our prose usually goes through some editing before publication
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, which will be critical for working with fellow editors and for working with authors, especially when editing stories
Tasks will include:
- Reading fiction submissions, currently around 700+ per twice-annual issue, to be shared amongst the three fiction editors
- Working with other editors to prepare a shortlist of the top contenders
- Working directly with authors on editing individual pieces
- Corresponding with other fiction editors, the editorial coordinator, and the designer about editing and proofreading questions
- Reading and discussing the shortlists for poetry, nonfiction, and visual art with the other editors
- Contributing as needed to other tasks related to running the journal, e.g. writing or editing website articles, attending book fairs, helping with readings at launch parties, etc.
- Attending monthly team meetings at 7:30pm on the first Thursday of the month, and two additional editorial meetings per issue
As with all SAND positions, this position itself is unpaid, though it may help connect you with paid opportunities in the future. The time commitment is very seasonal, with two “crunch times” in January–March and July–September. During the rest of the year, you will, of course, participate in the life of the journal, but the workload will be much lower. Your reward is priceless experience collaborating with a great team of people to produce a beautiful journal.
To apply, please put together an application packet containing the items listed below. Include your application packet as a single PDF file in an email to email@example.com. We receive many applications for our editorial positions, and, before meeting applicants, the best way for us to know that they are sincere is to assess the seriousness with which they approach the application process. Therefore, we kindly ask that only complete application packets be sent with all of the following:
- Your CV
- Your cover letter
- A list of five fiction authors that inspire your own writing or editing, in general
- A list of at least five literary journals (print or digital) that you respect (and hopefully read)
- Five short stories or flash fiction pieces you’ve enjoyed recently. Send us the full text of these stories, either scanned from printed books or saved down from online journals. Include these as a part of the single application packet PDF.
Deadline to apply extended to 21 December 2018. (But we will start considering applications sooner – so don’t be shy!)
We also accept speculative applications to join the team in another role, which you can send to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please keep in mind that we are all volunteers – this isn't our livelihood – and we all live in Berlin.)
We are also very interested in pitches for guest posts on this website, which you can send to email@example.com.